For the full blog post, click here.
I used the extra dough portion from a cream pie I previously made. Normally when you make pie dough, you make two portions– one for the bottom, one for the lattice on top. For topless pies, you can freeze the second half for later use!
Waste not, want not.
This post is a part of the monthly link-up party, Our Growing Edge. This event aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things. This month is hosted by Susan and Mike at Simply Sundays.
Summer Mixed Berry Pie
- 1 pie crust (for a good homemade one, try this)
- 5-6 cups fresh mixed berries
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cups cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Roll out the dough to a large circle and place in an un-greased, 9-inch pie pan. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the berries with zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon, making sure the berries are well coated and the cornstarch disappears.
- Place berry mixture in a colander and let excess fluid drain.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Fill the pie crust with the berry mixture, piling high in the center. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Let pie cool for at least 2-3 hours before serving.